Monday

Entry 3

Still no class today! Hooray! Though, I must admit, I am getting a little bored. My dad insists I stay inside my dorm until this whole thing blows over. And, I tried to. Honest, I did! But by three o'clock Saturday afternoon, I was itching to stretch my legs. So, I decided I would take a little stroll around the building and the little garden outside. For all I knew, the world had ended. I have never heard my dorm so quiet. Then again, my roommate and her boyfriend were two of the many who went to the cafeteria for treatment. She's a screamer...

Anyway, (shivering off the visual) I walked around my dorm floor for a few minutes and checked to see if any of my fellow classmates were home. Lacy and Amber in the dorm across the hall were the only ones. Amber was pouring herself a cocktail of cheap vodka and Sprite while Lacy was studying for a midterm. They had seen a few other girls this morning, but most were sick and went to the cafeteria.

After a little pick-me-up with Amber (just one!), I headed down the four flights of stairs and outside. It was a beautiful day out, but no one was enjoying it. Usually, there were mobs of students hanging out on benches and playing Frisbee. I did notice across campus that a large white tent was set up at the double doors to the cafeteria. A similar tent was located at the back of the building where the loading docks were. I only saw a couple people about the cafeteria and they were both wearing hazmat suits. Maybe this was a little more serious than I thought. In a panic, I slapped the back of my hand against my forehead. "Oww!" I said out loud. I relaxed when I felt I was a cool as a cucumber, as my mom would say.

(For hazmat suit enthusiasts, they have great deals on Amazon. Very flattering, I must say.)














I wandered out to the parking lot and with my car conveniently parked so close, I decided to take a spin around town. I was curious to see if only students were sick. I have been leery of the meatloaf and, at the moment, that was my prime suspect.

Upon pulling out onto the main drag, I was surprised by the lack of activity. There were a few cars here and there, but no where near the normal traffic I expected on a Saturday. I drove past the hospital and the parking lot was full. There was even an overflow of cars parked at the neighboring liquor store and the Walmart across the street. I rode through the Walmart parking lot, parked and ran inside for a few essentials my dad didn't pack. The place seemed almost abandoned. There were only a few employees working which was odd since Saturday was one of their busiest days. "Where is everyone?" I asked the cashier, an elderly lady with blue hair, as she rang up my groceries. "They all called in sick. Guess we're the lucky ones. Half the town is in the hospital." I nodded, paid, and thanked her as I skee-daddled on out of there. As I was loading up my car, I noticed a group of four or five pot heads shambling about. It must have been some powerful stuff because I could hear them moaning. They were headed towards the Walmart. One turned his head to look at me. His face was covered in some red liquid as well as the front of his shirt. As I looked closer, I realized all of them were covered in the sticky mess. They all turned towards my car and started to shuffle my way, arms outstretched towards me. I yelled, "Sorry, I'm fresh out of hot wings. And by the looks of you guys, you have had your fill already." Then to myself, "Effing stoners... Always hungry and begging for food." I climbed into my car and started her up. As I drove past the group, I rolled out my window and shouted, "You've got red on you!" Then headed back to my dorm.

And, I have been here ever since. Not a very exciting weekend, I know. Dad and mom check in on the CB every now and then. Thank God for the internet. I would have gone crazy by now. Well, I guess I will check in later. Thought about swigging, I mean swinging by Amber's. TTYL!

No comments:

Post a Comment