Wednesday

Entry 4

Well, it looks like the shit has hit the fan today. Most of those infected seemed to have passed away last night and there is still no diagnosis to what the virus is let alone a cure for it. I haven't heard anything about Ben. I would go down to the cafeteria and check myself, but to do so would be risking my own life. To be honest, it is pretty scary. I talked to my parents over the CB earlier this afternoon. The college has closed down until further notice and has encouraged all students who have had no contact with the virus to go home. When I told my dad this, he instructed me to stay put. "The roads are sure to be a mess. The virus is running rampant throughout Georgia and the Southeast. I think you are safer staying put. If things change, we will come and get you. Your mother and I are waiting in the bunker until things change either for the better or worse. Over."
I felt like a child again being told to go back to bed after having a nightmare. But, of course, I was an adult now, right? I could handle this. Just ride it out. "10-4 good buddy. Gotta go. Over."
My mom responded, "Love you, honey. Hang tight. You'll be fine. Over."
I tried not to cry, "Love you too. Over and out."

Something about being away from those who love me most really got to me. It would be nice to be home right now and make fun of Dad and his fallout shelter while secretly thanking God he built it. Okay, here come the waterworks.

"Hey, chica!" said Amber from the doorway of my dorm room. "You leaving too?"

I put on my brave face. "Uh, no. What about you?"

"You kidding? My parents are probably living it up somewhere in France right now. Once me, the baby, left for college, they decided to really take that empty nester thing to heart. They took their savings and went to Europe for three months. They aren't due back for at least another three weeks. But, I can't complain. They still wire money into my account for essentials..." She held up the six pack she had in her hand. "Want one?"

"Hell yeah!" We sat down on my bed and popped open a few beers. "Where's Lacy?"

"She went back home."

"So, you wanna be my new roomie for the time being? I don't think my roommate... will be back any time soon."

Amber's face lit up. "Sure, let me get some of my things." She ran across the hall to her room and started packing a suit case. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one worried about being away from my parents. Though, I must admit, she hid it better than I did.

We have been watching TV since then. We started watching the news to see what was going on. It was like the Black Death all over again. People were dying everywhere down south and no one knew what the hell was going on. It was spreading fast too. The handy dandy map they showed the estimated progression of the virus throughout the US. By the end of two weeks, tops, the entire country would be under siege by this mystery plague. That is, unless the scientists make a break through first.

Since all the news did was depress us, we opted to watch something else. All the network channels were covering the virus. Thank God for MTV. But eventually, you can only watch so much MTV before the urge to vomit from stupid reality show overload takes hold. We turned to the only option we knew would lift our spirits, Disney movies. We have already watched Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast. Next is The Lion King. Can't miss that. Hakuna matata, everyone. Talk to you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment